Friday, 3 May 2013

Other Ways That Cotton Has Been Used "Part Two"

my last article on cotton, I explained how cotton has been used in ways that we really never thought about such as the filament of a light bulb or in the making of the paper that our currency is printed on. We also discovered that it can be used in foods and cosmetics. In this article I have discovered other applications for cotton.
During the First World War, the Government financed research into the use of cotton. The Defense Department was looking for places to grow a special type of cotton. This special type of cotton known as (ELS) "Extra Long Staple" was named Pima cotton after the Pima Indians who were helping to raise this ELS cotton. They were growing this cotton on the USDA experimental farm in Sacaton, Arizona. This cotton was to be used for tire cords and in high quality fabrics used to cover the fuselage and wings of an airplane because of its exceptional strength. At the end of the First World War, there were changes in technology that put a stop to Government research into ELS cotton because they found cheaper materials that were easier to produce for tires and fuselage covering.

Some other applications of cotton are in the seed. When crushed will produce byproducts common to everyday use. "Linters" the fuzz that is left on the seed after ginning can end up in products such as dynamite, gunpowder, mops, cotton balls, automotive upholstery and of course, paper for printing money. Cellulose, a component of cotton fiber after being extracted from the linters can be used to make food casings, paint, toothpaste, film, tool handles and plastics for windshields. Cottonseed hulls, besides being used for animal feed and cottonseed oil will also be used in soap and as a carrier for agricultural sprays.
Cottonseed meal, the dry part of the seed can be used in fertilizers. The oil which we know as cottonseed oil is used to cook potato chips and as stated in my previous article used by chefs in their cooking process.
Most of the seed grown in the West will not be crushed due to the low oil content. Nearly all of the seed is used for feed for dairy cattle. The remainder will be used to seed the following year's crop.
Getting back to other uses for cotton, I have found that it is used in bandages and gauze, cellophane, linoleum, margarine, rope and salad dressing. It is also used in coffee filters, tents and was used in fire hoses and fishing nets. Cotton played a large part in the industrial revolution because of its versatility. I never realized the versatility of the cotton plant until I moved to Arizona and bought a house a few blocks away from a cotton field. I have watched for the last six years as the farmer planted, cultivated and harvested his crop. I am sure that there are even more uses that I have not discovered. I hope this article will create an interest in others to research cotton and find even more uses than I have found.
Walter & Joan Brown are owners of http://www.beddingforanyone.com We offer a large variety and quality bedding at affordable prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment